[Benchmarking] Feedback and some activity, Please!

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Jun 25 04:30:45 PDT 2013

Hi Andrea

Here are csv and jmx files:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45385184/21781.csv
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45385184/qgis_av_21781.jmx

 >Seeing what kind of requests you made (zoom level and image size) is
going to be interesting.

Image 1000 x 600 - 1500 x 900, Zoom level 1:800 - 1:5'000. Zoom level
has been selected because most of the cadasdral layers are visible on
that scale.
And yes, image encoding is a very important factor in this benchmark.
However, I think it is a realistic scenario and image encoding as well
as palette generation is indeed a very imortant thing for a WMS server.

 >however that really turns the benchmark into a png encoding contest

In UMN as well as QGIS server, the palette generation for png8 is
implemented as part of the server code (it does not come from a 3rd
party lib). So I think comparing that in a benchmark makes sense. If a
test would be driven by rendering speed, you could also say that the
test measures the performance of the underlying graphic lib.

In any case, I agree that benchmark results are very specific and a
different test may show a totally different picture.

Regards,
Marco

Dr. Marco Hugentobler