[OSGeo-Board] Meeting this Friday

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Aug 2 00:32:46 PDT 2006

Dear Board,

Some minor corrections made. Pl. check the version below

Venka

------------------Draft--------------------------------------------------------
OSGeo Guidelines for “OSGeo Interest Group”, “OSGeo Chapter” and “OSGeo Branch”

Open Source software has come to be a proven environment for building stronger
software through open global collaboration. The Open Source Geospatial
Foundation, hereafter referred to as OSGeo, has been created to support and
build the highest-quality geospatial software. The OSGeo's goal is to promote
the use OSGeo projects globally by fostering strong localized OSGeo partnership
and presence in different geographic and linguistic domains. Apart from being a
strong local voice for the OSGeo, some of the major tasks whereby localized
OSGeo partnership and presence could enrich and enhance global geospatial
initiatives would be;

·Software Internationalization and Localization
·Development of prototype applications to demonstrate Open Source geospatial
capabilities to local and regional audiences
·Software Packaging and Customization for local and regional needs
·Training, Support and Development of e-Learning Contents in local languages
·Support Open standards and Open access to geospatial data in region
·Promoting OSGeo and enhancing visibility in various forums

The above activities would complement and strengthen the efforts of OSGeo in
increasing awareness about available Open Source Geospatial solutions and
stimulating adoption in education, industry, government and non-profit
organizations in various geographic and linguistic domains.

This guideline does not differentiate between a geographic or linguistic
grouping and strongly encourages self-organization of localized OSGeo
partnership and presence at three levels as described below.

Level One – OSGeo Interest Group hereafter referred to as OIG

* OIG functions in an independent framework similar to User Groups for other
Open Source Projects
* OIG does not formally represent OSGeo
* OIG can start and maintain Wiki document on the OSGeo Wiki
* OIG must provide a short introduction in English language describing the
special needs, if any, of this geographic or linguistic grouping.
* “OSGeo Chapter” is not permitted to use OSGeo Logo and other branded resources
* OSGeo will provide necessary infrastructure to promote visibility of OIG. The
infrastructure will include hosting of wiki pages pertaining to the OIG
* OIG must start a maintain member list on the Wiki
* OIG must develop “Directory Listing” of companies, people, universities and
government departments involved with or using OSGEO projects
* OIG must strive at networking with organizations to enlist participation and
support for OSGeo
* OIG must support OSGEO projects at large
* OSGeo reserves the right to terminate its relation with an OIG if OSGeo has
reasons to believe that the activities of the OIG are contrary or detrimental to
the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo

Level Two: “OSGeo Chapter”

*  “OSGeo Chapter”Official represents OSGeo and is formally recognized as OSGeo
Project
*  “OSGeo Chapter” Representative must make an official “expression of intent”
to OSGeo Membership and OSGeo Board
* “OSGeo Chapter” must prepare a draft proposal and start a motion with the
OSGeo Board seeking approval as “OSGeo Chapter”
* “OSGeo Chapter” must elect an official representative to liaise with the OSGeo
Board. The official representative of the “OSGeo Chapter” will automatically be
member of OSGeo.
* “OSGeo Chapter” must hold regular meetings and provide annual report of
activities to OSGeo membership and OSGeo Board
* “OSGeo Chapter” will not entail any financial commitment from or on-behalf of
OSGeo. OSGeo will also not provide any budget assistance to the “OSGeo Chapter”
* “OSGeo Chapter” is permitted to use OSGeo Logo and other branded resources for
promoting the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo
* OSGeo will provide necessary infrastructure to promote communication and
visibility of “OSGeo Chapter”. The infrastructure will include mailing list,
hosting of wiki pages, domain service for “OSGeo Chapter”.
* “OSGeo Chapter”must develop and maintain “Directory Listing” of companies,
people, universities and organizations involved with or using OSGEO projects
* “OSGeo Chapter” must strive at networking with organizations to enlist
participation and support for OSGeo
* “OSGeo Chapter” must support OSGEO projects at large
* OSGeo reserves the right to terminate its relation with an “OSGeo Chapter” if
OSGeo has reasons to believe that the activities of the “OSGeo Chapter” are
contrary or detrimental to the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo

Level Two: OSGeo Branch

*  Official represents OSGeo and formally recognized as an independent OSGeo entity
*  “OSGeo Chapter” is entitled to qualify as a OSGeo Branch after not less than
one year of existence as an official “OSGeo Chapter”.
* “OSGeo Chapter” representative must make an official “expression of intent” to
the OSGeo Mebdership and OSGeo Board to function as “OSGeo Branch”
* “OSGeo Branch” must elect its own Board Members and Officers
* “OSGeo Branch” must be a registered not-for-profit organization
* “OSGeo Branch”hold regular meetings and provide annual report of activities to
OSGeo membership and OSGeo Board
* “OSGeo Branch” must not entail any financial commitment from or on-behalf of
OSGeo.
* OSGeo may allot budget assistance to the “OSGeo Branch”
* “OSGeo Branch” is permitted to use OSGeo Logo and other branded resources for
promoting the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo
* OSGeo will provide necessary infrastructure to promote communication and
visibility of OSGeo Branch. The infrastructure will include mailing list,
hosting of wiki pages, domain service for OSGeo Branch.
* “OSGeo Branch” must develop and share “Directory Listing”of companies, people,
universities and organizations involved with or using OSGEO projects
* “OSGeo Branch” must strive towards networking with organizations to enlist
participation and support for OSGeo
* “OSGeo Branch” must support OSGEO projects at large
* OSGeo reserves the right to terminate its relation with an “OSGeo Branch” if
OSGeo has reasons to believe that the activities of the “OSGeo Branch” are