Subtle ED changes I've made

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 18 07:40:16 PDT 2006

Folks,

I've made a few changes to the ED document, and I wanted to explain them
a bit rather than having them slip in at the last moment with no one realizing
it.

--------

I have changed:

"The ED manages day to day operation of the foundation within the available
resources."

to:

"The ED manages day to day operation of the foundation within available
resources and defined policy."

--------

I have changed:

"The ED reports status, establishes board agenda items, and requests decisions
or support from the board when needed."

"The ED reports status and takes direction from the board. "

because I was quite uncomfortable with the way the old wording implies the
board is just some sort of advisory body the ED may consult with if they
wish, and on their own terms.

-----

I have changed:

"The ED is appointed and removed by the board, the ED manages all other paid
staff. "

to:

"The ED is appointed and removed by the board, and the ED generally manages
other paid staff, exceptions possibly including contractors reporting to
project PSCs."

If the GDAL PSC decided to hire a contractor for code maintenance with it's
sponsorship money, that PSC can establish how it wants to manage that
contractor (for example).

-----