[OSGeo-Board] Re: [Fundraising] Re: [OSGeo-Board] Re: [Fundraising] RE: [OSGeo-Board] German OSGeo Chapter formation, bank account

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Aug 21 11:15:29 PDT 2006

On Mon, August 21, 2006 19:35, Gary Lang wrote:
> Having just personally hooked us up with China and personally worked on
> bringing up thr Japan chapter, I am not sure where this bias shows up.
>
> Gary

This way of thinking is part of the bias. Its not that you do something
there but that they can do things by themselves. This seems to be
incredibly hard to understand for many people.

I assume your personal hooking OSGeo up with China has a solid commercial
interest. Which is perfectly fine but different to the kind of bias I am
talking of. I think that the OSGeo that I see growing is just one level
more global than yours. We should share our visions or something like
that.

It is a different thing whether you dictate others what you think they
need (and say "we need") and what they and you and I really need.

This is funny. I did not bother a second to think about whether this
request could be any issue at all. I am slightly stunned at the immediate
banking account. The first is that we need to put community money that has
come out of the German conferences to good use. We (the FOSSGIS conference
team) have decided to put this money into OSGeo. The second reason is that
every time you shove money accross a border it loses value. The smaller
the amount the less it makes sense. So the easiest thing is to set up a
separate Euro account. If this is a big thing for OSGeo management and
results in a costly overhead we will do it differently. We can found a
small association with a bank account and then apply for an association
with OSGeo. Same thing other way round. Would that be better? Either way
up I end up on your doorstep sooner or later with some 5000 Euros sitting
on an account waiting to be spent for some OSGeo activity. Are we going to
make this difficult?

--
With best regards,
Arnulf Christl