[OSGeo-Board] Fw: Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Certification of Gary's course

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Aug 28 10:59:24 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:57:28AM -0700, Gary Lang wrote:
> +1 on both
> > +1 on delegating to EduCom the right to be trusted to allocate the
> > OSGeo logo to material that its members approve of.
> > +1 on giving HyperVisCom the right to arbitrate any logo decisions and
> > only punt ones to the Board/ED that are really grey areas (in which
> > case the answer is probably 'no' anyway?)

What's now happening here is this:

1/ VisCom is working out a logo use policy for Board review this Friday
2/ EduCom could if they wanted work out some training materials
endorsement criteria by Friday. Frank offered to add a special
case 'yes Gary Watry can use the OSGeo logo' motion on Friday while
EduCom is still figuring out a solid policy.
3/ Unfortunately Gary Watry needs to be distributing his coursework by
Friday already

I don't feel clued up enough on the background discussion (I think
the word 'certificate' came up and sparked a certification debate
which was orthogonal to the original problem. The author would not
only like to have a logo on his material and an 'OSGeo endorsed'
status for it, but also have the logo on a 'Certificate of Course
Completion' - as a gesture of support and promotion for OSGeo rather
than intended to indicate 'OSGeo certified', but it looks a bit grey)
but if it made sense to someone on this list much more involved in
EduCom than me to say 'MOTION: to say yes to all the requests
summarised in
https://edu.osgeo.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=discuss&msgNo=201 then I
would support it; because it would gratify a helpful collaborator;
to stand on process here might alienate them.

cheers,

jo