[OSGeo-Board] Re: [VisCom] Re: [OSGeo-Board] Re: People at FOSS4G

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 31 06:37:12 PDT 2006

Chris Holmes wrote:
> Speaking of which, what's the protocol for figuring out where the main
> conference is next year?  Some South Africans have been in touch with
> me, and they're quite interested in trying to host it next year or the
> year after, and I've been neglecting telling them how to go about since
> I just don't know.  It seems like it'd be ideal to announce at the end
> of this conference?  Is someone already working on it?

Chris,

There is an unofficial "Conference Committee" at conference.osgeo.org, mostly
initialized from the existing international steering committee.  We are trying
to issue an RFP for this, but have had trouble finding someone willing to lead
the conference committee.  A bit stalled on this point actually.

The plan is that we would issue an RFP by no later than FOSS4G, and hopefully
select a site by early November.   But of course our plan was to have a
selection done by FOSS4G and that slid.