[OSGeo-Board] Re: People at FOSS4G

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 31 09:33:20 PDT 2006

> I'm thinking of a benevolent fund, yes, and then looking at the budget
> document and thinking "well, there's an allocation which looks like
> what I have in mind and has the same sort of name". I'm thinking that
> travel expenses is a good way to support "people we like". "Promotion"
> is a difficult word for me and I'd maybe say "representation".

I would like to see us have a travel grant fund that people could
request support from or apply to and a committee could dole out, but
I see this as distinct from the promo budget.

While I would like to see ways to help get members more involved in
events, I'm a little concerned about setting precedence on what
"people we like" means, without some clear guidelines.  Of course, at
present, no one is going to want to say they don't like the people
you or I like, so then it comes down who asks first or who is 'brave'
enough to ask the question :)  Who is going to say no, since we all
have a benevolent nature?

I'm sure that if some of the PSC's or other members knew we had money
to help support them, they would have asked to come to promote their
projects, which would seem much easier to justify.

I assume VisCom should get a plan together for how the promo budget
gets spent, so there is some longer term vision for how the funds are
directed.  I'm not saying this kind of support wouldn't fall in
there, but I'm having trouble seeing the benefit for OSGeo to fund to
have someone come when there are already so many supporters going to
be there, unless EuroOSCON is in desperate need of OSGeo
representation or a certain project is having trouble getting a rep
there.

I guess it also touches on the point of whether or not we want OSGeo
to be seen as having money to give away for this kind of support in
general.

Were you looking for VisCom support on this?  I assume the board will
decide what to do on this, but I just wanted to bring up a few
discussion points.  Would love to see Andy there, of course :)

Arnulf - Are there some conference passes still available at all?

Tyler