[OSGeo-Board] About Sponsorship for local OSGeo Chapters

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Thu Dec 14 00:57:31 PST 2006

Thanks for the feed back Tyler and Arnulf,
Some comments below;

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> FYI - here is the sponsorship summary page that fundraising committee
> put together:
> https://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/

Saw that. But Mr. Noda, Japan OSGeo Chapter board member
send me a PDF file about sponsorship, I do not know
if it the same as the html document you pointed. I attach
the PDF file FYI

Here's what I am going to answer back. Pl. confirm if all
is OK before I respond to our Japanese colleagues. Tyler
can these answers be put on OSGeo website for people with
smilar questions to see. Statements in the bracket will
be removed when I send the info to our Japanese colleagues.

1) Kind of sponsors
    See OSGeo ED's blog http://spatialguru.com/sponsorship_dec06
    (perhaps that could be put on the OSGeo site too.

2) Status of sponsors
    See OSGeo ED's blog http://spatialguru.com/sponsorship_dec06
    (perhaps that could be put on the OSGeo site too.

3) When the sponsor logos will appear on the OSGeo website, wiki etc
    Sometime in Jan 2007

4) Is the local sponsorship scheme same as OSGeo.org sponsorship ?
    OSGeo ED Tyler will serve as a helper to those who are doing
    international solicitation for sponsors.  In case of language
    barriers for communication with ED some the local chapter
    representative or OSGeo member/officer familiar with the
    local language can at as translator for smooth communication.
    After the kind of sponsorship, sponsor level etc. are agreed
    up and approved by the OSGeo board (*I do not know is Board approval
    is necessary, I personally think, it is*), appropriate invoice can be
    issued by OSGeo. In case the invoice is needed in local country,
    OSGeo can request the Local Chapter Representative to issue invoice
    on OSGeo behalf (*need comments on that too*)
    In case of local chapter sponsors the preferred approach would be
    that someone form the local chapter connects with the main
    organisation while  also providing support/services to make the
    process easier.
    (Think I am acting as the "local" connector as a Board Member of
     OSGeo and also board Member of the Japan OSGeo Chapter)

5)  Will OSGeo sponsors be invited to next FOSS4G Conference ?
    Every sponsor > associate level receives an invite to join
    the board and other speakers at a sponsors-only event following
    the conference.  details need to be worked out See.
    https://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/
    (My question. How do we differentiate between "Conference Sponsor"
     for example people who pay money for the conference events like
     FOSS4G2007? Do Associate level above sponsor not pay sponsorship
     for FOSS4G Conference Event but are still considered as sponsors?
     Invitation to FOSS4G with certain number of free registration
     passes? Or discount for registration fee for participants from
     sponsoring organization?)

6) Can the sponsor specify the purpose for which the sponsorship
    fee can be used?
    Yes, then it would not be the "Foundation-" but the "Project
    Sponsorship program". (*Question* What if the sponsor asks that
    his contribution to be used by some Local Chapter only? Is
    "Local Chapter Sponsorship" treated same as "Project
    Sponsorship"?)

    I could see where some donors may be interested in giving
    $x (or x Japanese Yen) - with half going to a project and half
    going to the foundation (*Question* Does it have to be half?
    OSGeo can charge 10-20% (whatever) for accepting, processing
    etc. of sponsorship and give back remaining to the "Project"
    or "Local Chapter" requested by the sponsor).
    For example if someone wants to donate and say that they want
    part of their donation to go into education development
   (or Local Chapter) - we could split it for them so half ((*Question*
    Does it have to be half? OSGeo can charge 10-20% (whatever) for
    accepting, processing etc. of sponsorship and give back remaining
    to the "Project" or "Local Chapter" requested by the sponsor).
    Overhead goes to Edu project and the remainder to foundation.
    (Is this OK?).

Venka