OSGeo-Board Motion: "Trustees and Members"

Rich Steele Rich.Steele at autodesk.com
Mon Feb 13 18:32:57 PST 2006

I don't have a vote, but I would recommend against the use of the word "Trustee" to signify those individuals who elect the board.   "Trustee" is a legal term that implies a fiduciary duty to the organization, and in this sense is much more akin to the board itself rather than the persons who elect the board (i.e., "members" or, in the for profit context, "stockholders").  A "trustee" is commonly defined by law a person who holds title to assets "in trust" for the benefit of another (i.e., the "beneficiary").  In the nonprofit world, this concept has been extended to refer to the board of directors of the nonprofit -- the idea being that they are in essence managing the assets of the corporation for the public good.  This is why you sometimes see non-profit boards called a "Board of Trustees".

But to call a member a "trustee" is very confusing and has a distinctly different legal connotation, one that I as a "trustee" wouldn't be comfortable with.  "Member" also is a well understood legal term of art.  See, for example, the Delaware Code, which defines a Member as "a person who, under the rules or practices of a nonprofit association, may participate in the selection of persons authorized to manage the affairs of the nonprofit association or in the development of policy of the nonprofit association."  Note that it says these are persons who participate in the *selection* of persons authorized to manage the nonprofit; it does not say that members *are* the persons authorized to manage the nonprofit.

I'm not sure what the purpose is of the motion on the floor.  If it is to level the playing field and be less exclusionary, I don't see how this fits the bill.  You still have primary and secondary classes of individuals, and calling them something different does not change this fact.  If the problem is instead around the word "member", and wanting everybody to be one (ie, we are not a "members only" society), then I don't understand why "member" and "associate member" don't work.  Or you could have everyone be "members", and then the 45 are "voting members".  Any of these or other plays on the word "member" would work, but I think the "trustee" idea gives the wrong impression.

-Rich