OSGeo-Board Local Chapters, Translation, etc

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Wed Feb 15 06:12:08 PST 2006

> Folks,
>
> What do you think of starting a mailing list for those interested
> in translation of foundation pages (ie. PR), setting up local sites
> (ie. Toru), or establishing connections with regional organizations
> (ie. FOSSGIS, Geolivre, etc)?
>
> I am thinking of something like international-discuss at board.osgeo.org.

Doing this is cool, but why not in the Wiki? I am really swamped with
emails already and I don't need yet another one. The ColabNet
infrastructure will spawn email lists like hell anyway. In most of our
work groups we have managed to reduce use of emails to manage
catastrophies. Everything else is done way better in the Wiki. Please just
have a look at this simple diagram again:
http://www.socialtext.com/images/email-vs-socialtext-20050320.gif

It helps. Really!

> I am seeing alot of interest in setting addressing the international
> outreach issue.   However, I don't think we as a board can do this topic
> justice in the near term with everything else going on.  What I would
> like is to have a venue where folks interested in this area could discuss
> and do some planning, perhaps coming back to the board with
> recommendations.
>
> Addressing questions like:
>   o Organizing translation of foundation pages.
>   o Addressing local "chapters" or resources (ie. ja.osgeo.org?)
>   o Addressing what sort of affiliation or outreach to regional
> organizations
>     makes sense.
>   o Raising issues with the internationalization support in foundation
>     software projects.
>
> If we want to do this we could either designated it properly as a
> "committee"
> or just set it up as a mailing list with no special designation.  If we
> establish it as a proper committee I think we would need to provide it
> with
> some sort of mandate and it would be expected to come up with somewhat
> formal recommendations to the board.
>
> If you guys are supportive, I'll write up a motion in the wiki based on
> the above, and similar to web masters group.

Cool, do that. And wrap it in square brackets and make each one a link to
a separate page. No need for initializing mailing lists. If they are neede
we can still set them up.

Arnulf.