[OSGeo-Board] Re: OSGeo-Board Local Chapters, Translation, etc

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 15 06:34:02 PST 2006

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) wrote:
> Doing this is cool, but why not in the Wiki? I am really swamped with
> emails already and I don't need yet another one. The ColabNet
> infrastructure will spawn email lists like hell anyway. In most of our
> work groups we have managed to reduce use of emails to manage
> catastrophies. Everything else is done way better in the Wiki. Please just
> have a look at this simple diagram again:
> http://www.socialtext.com/images/email-vs-socialtext-20050320.gif
 >
> It helps. Really!

Arnulf,

It is certainly my hope that the "international-discuss" group will
formulate plans and ideas in the wiki.  That is part of the reason I
setup the page their for it with a few ideas.

  http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/International_Outreach

and the "Like Minded Regional Organizations" wiki topic was setup a
few days ago.

However, I still have not got the hang of "discussing" things in the wiki.

>> If you guys are supportive, I'll write up a motion in the wiki based on
>> the above, and similar to web masters group.
>
> Cool, do that. And wrap it in square brackets and make each one a link to
> a separate page. No need for initializing mailing lists. If they are neede
> we can still set them up.

I'm afraid I may have jumped the gun based on a few other +1s.  The mailing
list has been setup.  But this does not preclude using the wiki for the
evolving thoughts of the group.  I am also now not yet certain I want to
make it an official committee until some discussion has started.