[OSGeo-Board] Fund raising

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 15 12:16:24 PST 2006

>> One thing I'd like to maybe see is that money going to an application
>> gives some percentage to the underlying libraries.  I have no need to
>> see this required, but if/when GeoServer joins I certainly want some
>> percentage going straight to GeoTools, since it contains a large
>> majority of our code.
>
> +1 from Markus
>
> Also GRASS depends on external libraries such as GDAL/OGR, PROJ
> and others.

Folks,

My thinking is that project funds are to be spent (within reason)
as the project team sees fit.  So if the GRASS team wanted to transfer
some funds to the GDAL project, who would I be to argue?  But I don't
forsee the need to make this a rule or part of a formula.

But, as usual, it might actually be more helpful for project teams to
provide "in kind" support to library teams.  :-) That is providing bug
fixes, new features, documentation etc.