[OSGeo-Board] Re: Voting / Associate Membership

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Feb 23 11:29:54 PST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>
>> ARTICLE I Purposes of the Corporation; Non-Profit Status
>> on:
>> http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/Draft_OSGEO_Bylaws
>>
>> We should probably move this to stable asap, currently it does not say
>> this clearly yet:
>>
>> https://www.osgeo.org/content/governance/foundation/members/membership.html
>>

> Arnulf,
>
> I don't think we should be moving the bylaws to stable (or better
> yet to the osgeo.org web site) till they have been adopted.  If there
> are no substantial issues perhaps we will be able to accomplish this on
> Monday.
>
>  >Chris writes:
>
>>> I also think we're going to have to really think through how to make
>>> those who don't get 'elected', those who aren't 'members' feel included.
>

> Arnulf writes:
>
>> This should be a major effort and be addressed parallel to the
>> nomination, voting and presentation of results. Basically whoever
>> wants to do something can do so using the Wiki. I have seen the term
>> do-ocracy come up again and again, seconding, enhancing and extending
>> the term meritocracy that was part of the idea of the foundation right
>> from the start.
>

> I concur.
>
> I would really like to see us in a position to have associate members
> as soon as possible, and to make the associate member role reasonably
> formal.  We should be collecting names and contact information for all
> members and associate members. I would like a public membership list
> something like:
>
>   Members of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>   ================================================
>
> Members listed with a (v) after their name are voting members, all
> members without the (v) are associate members.
>
> Aardvark Jones
> Arnulf Christl (v)
>
> ie. the point being to try as much as possible to treat all members
> as members, with the voting distinction being a minor addendum.
This sounds ideal to me.  What I think would be great is if we had the
minimal 'requirement' to be a member be that you write a couple
paragraphs on who you are and what you do.  Just so we know who all is
involved.  Of course one can contribute even not being a member, but I
feel if you 'enter' our community it'd be nice to know a bit about you.

Maybe as part of one's 'profile'?  Can collabnet do that?  And then have
a place to view everyone's profile?  Make it so anyone can sign up for
the site and do stuff, but you become a 'member' when you fill out a few
paragraphs about yourself?

Another thought is that similar to the (v) we could have a (fof) friend
of foundation - those that paid a $20 support fee or some such.

> How soon could we have an associate member signup thingy on the web
> site Daniel?
>

>> Anyway, a good thing will be to stress the fact that down to earth
>> work is involved in being an actively representing part of the
>> Foundation.
>>
>> == Non Voting Members ==
>> Still - every nominated member that is *not* elected will be *outside*
>> of the Foundation altogether as everybody else who did not even bother
>> to try to get nominated. This is downright harmful! It is therefore
>> very important to implement a meaningful member status for active
>> "non-voting-members" or "friends-of-the-foundation".
>

> Right.  Per the draft bylaws this is called associate member.
>
>> == Wiki Use ==
>> In my interpretation the group of "active non-voting-members" is
>> currently represented by the growing user list of the Wiki.
>>
>> But the URL is a strange .de, second level dir and still not public.
>> We are not publishing it because it has not been resolved yet by the
>> BOD how to do it. It would take me a few minutes only to get it known
>> in around 50 OSGIS channels - but I didn't do this yet because we
>> never sorted out whether to leave it outside the CN infrastructure,
>> switch URL or whatever?!
>>
>>  From what I recollect Frank suggested that the pre fossgis might not
>> harm anybody. That it is remote from the official CN makes it better
>> to encourage editing and differentiates it from stable documents. So
>> what to do about this?
>>
>> Maybe I should add these topics to the next BOD meeting?
>

> Note that I have been pointing people to stuff in the wiki in
> #osgeo and on the discuss list.  I think we have just been hesitant
> to promote directly on the main web site.
>
> My hope is that the Web Committee will be able to address how to move
> the wiki within .osgeo.org within the next few weeks after which point
> we might be more aggressive about encouraging it's use.
+1

Chris

--
Chris Holmes