[OSGeo-Board] Charity status?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Jul 5 13:21:08 PDT 2006

dear Tyler, all,

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:56:26PM -0700, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Have we been pursuing US charitable status for OSGeo yet?

You mean a 501(c)3?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501c3#501.28c.29.283.29
What are the big advantages? Tax deductions for donations?
http://members.aol.com/irsform1023/misc/comp501s.html

A 501(c)3 status precludes any "political activity" on behalf
of the charitably incorporated org. I would have some concern
about this - that statements about software patents, or engagement
with state-collected geodata policy, might be "political"?

Rich Steele could be OSGeo's "go-to guy" on this, but I'm not sure
how around he is or to what extent he can offer pro-bono time.

cheers,

jo