[OSGeo-Board] Charity status?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 5 19:36:18 PDT 2006

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear Tyler, all,
>
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:56:26PM -0700, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>> Have we been pursuing US charitable status for OSGeo yet?
>
> You mean a 501(c)3?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501c3#501.28c.29.283.29
> What are the big advantages? Tax deductions for donations?
> http://members.aol.com/irsform1023/misc/comp501s.html
>
> A 501(c)3 status precludes any "political activity" on behalf
> of the charitably incorporated org. I would have some concern
> about this - that statements about software patents, or engagement
> with state-collected geodata policy, might be "political"?

Jo / Tyler,

We had some earlier discussions about what political activity, and
I think we established there was no problem with us taking a position
on policy matters in the political arena.  But that we wouldn't be
able to provide funding to politicians or political parties at
election time.  It might also preclude us advocating strongly in
favor of one politician over another in an election.

All considered, the ramifications seemed quite limited in this regard.

> Rich Steele could be OSGeo's "go-to guy" on this, but I'm not sure
> how around he is or to what extent he can offer pro-bono time.

What I heard a few months ago was that there was no big rush to get
all the 501(c)3 stuff in order.  That it is normal for an organization
to not do this for as much as 12 months after launch.  But I too am
interested in more detail on whether papers for this have been file,
and if not, when this ought to be done, and if Rich will have time to
work on it.