[OSGeo-Board] localization of OSGEO website for China

Kevin Zhu kevin.zhu at autodesk.com
Thu Jun 8 17:51:30 PDT 2006

Dear Daniel,

I've talked more with Digital China on this localization, and I think
their intention is not only "translate" the website. They are more eager
to setup a local website, so they can be more free to promote DC
company, as well as promote OSGEO and MapGuide OpenSource in China. Of
course, all copyrights and sources will be stated explicity and
contributed to their owners. All the logos from OSGEO/DC/Autodesk can be
placed on the website page. And DC will setup a server and domain name
for it. (No cost need from OSGEO.)

As a proposal, we think website can perform two levels of functions:

Basic level:
A. Introduce OSGEO organization to China audience, what's its purpose
and destination, etc.
B. Introduce MapGuide OpenSource project, as well as Autodesk MapGuide
Enterprise.
C. Provide MapGuide OpenSource application and code download.
D. Provide a discussion group (in Chinese) for Chinese users to
discuss/feedback MapGuide project.
E. Also promote Digital China company to the website visitors.
F. Subscipt mapguide mail list.

Advanced level:
F. Allow users to log defects to Collabnet
G. Allow users to contribute new codes/HTML to the project.

The basic level is generally a "read-only" site to OSGEO website. We get
info from OSGEO and mapguide.osgeo.org , but don't "write" to it. Also
we can explicitly provide links to OSGEO and mapguide.osgeo.org .

The advanced level is more complicated. As I don't know much about
Collabnet, I'm not clear whether it is possible or not.

The content above is only a proposal, and we need apporal from OSGEO if
you think it's appropriate. Since Japan (and other countries?) are doint
silimar things, could you please give us some advice? Thanks!

Regards,
Kevin Zhu

Sales Development Manager
Infrastructure Solution Division