[OSGeo-Board] localization of OSGEO website for China

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 8 18:50:07 PDT 2006

Kevin Zhu wrote:
> Dear Daniel,
>
> I've talked more with Digital China on this localization, and I think
> their intention is not only "translate" the website. They are more eager
> to setup a local website, so they can be more free to promote DC
> company, as well as promote OSGEO and MapGuide OpenSource in China. Of
> course, all copyrights and sources will be stated explicity and
> contributed to their owners. All the logos from OSGEO/DC/Autodesk can be
> placed on the website page. And DC will setup a server and domain name
> for it. (No cost need from OSGEO.)

Folks,

I am a bit nervous about Digital China wanting to setup a local web site so
that they can be more free to promote their own company.  I can live with
Digital China have some sort of prominent "sponsorship" positioning on
an OSGeo web page translated to Chinese.  But I'm hesitant to put the
site into their control.

My first choice would be for a Chinese OSGeo web site to done as part of
osgeo.org as I think Daniel suggested.  My second choice would be for it
to be managed in China, but by a more "grassroots" Chinese OSGeo community
consisting or more than just one company.  For instance, I think it is
important that OSGeo Japan Branch started with four founding directors
from different organizations, not just as an arm of Autodesk Japan.

All the above said, if Digital China wants to setup a web site talking
about OSGeo and MapGuide that is ok, but perhaps not claiming to be
*the* OSGeo Chinese presence.

I am writing this to the board list rather than replying to Kevin or
Digital China because I think we need to come to some sort of joint
position on this matter, before presenting something likely to be
construed as an official position of OSGeo.  The above is just my opinion.