[OSGeo-Board] localization of OSGEO website for China

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Jun 19 01:05:09 PDT 2006

Kevin Zhu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for sending this mail widely, but does anyone can help me to reach
> Daniel Brookshier? I have sent a lots of mails to Daniel
> (dbrookshier at collab.net <mailto:dbrookshier at collab.net>), but all my
> mails are refused by collab.net mail server. So I'm getting mad:(
>
> My purpose is to figure when he will be availible for a conf-call to
> discuss to localization of OSGEO website. And I just want to aviod
> getting up at mid-night to find he's not there....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

Hello Kevin,
please bear with us, we are a large corporation and sometimes slow to
react. :-)

Please find a message to WebCom attached that explains why you have not
been able to reach Daniel. We have also been surprised by this move and
need to arrange accordingly. This will take at least one week because it
will require the board to act and the next meeting is on Friday.

We have discussed the formation of local chapters at the f2f meeting a
week ago. There are still quite a few open issues so that we will not be
able to move head on right now. One if them is that a local chapter
needs broader involvement than just one company. You will have to wait
until OSGeo has figured out how to handle your request.

Did you have a chance to read the Wiki pages describing some of the
points that you will have to go through? You find a first try at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Local_Chapter_Guidelines

Please observe that this page documents the current discussion and has
not yet been approved as official OSGeo policy! We are probably going to
streamline the process, drop the levels and make it a smoother
transition from a local interest group to whatever it wants to become.

The formation of local chapters will involve several steps and the first
will be to set up a Wiki page and collect interest and form a list of
potential members. You can start doing that right away, create yourself
an account, add yourself to the 'all members' page and add a translation
of the OSGeo mission, main page, FAQ. This is also  a good chance to
introduce yourself to the OSGeo by dropping a few lines about where you
come from, what your skills and interests in OSGeo are.

Once this is accomplished the international group can request for a
domain, mailing list, etc. At a later stage it might be possible or even
required to form local chapters with local agenda, etc. But this is
still quite a long way down the road as it will take some time to build
a community.

As none of us in the board can read any chinese (is that true?) we will
also have to figure out how to proof read any new pages before they can
be transferred to the stable and approved document section.

Best regards,
Arnulf Christl.