[OSGeo-Board] outline document from the F2F?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 20 09:05:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 04:54:51PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> General
>    * We should soon figure out what the title and requirements of
> membership are. At Where 2.0 many people will want to know how to
> become a member (also at FOSS4G2006 Lausanne)

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Proposed_Membership_Rules#Specifics
summarises this bit of the discussion; an old proposal document of
mpg's which was worked over and simplified a bit at the meeting.

A lot of the discussion about membership "classes" was about
semantics; the old "Voting Member / Associate Member" chestnut, and
not wanting in any way for the semantics to de-emphasise the role of
non-voting members of OSGeo. "Participant" (anyone who edits a wiki
page / participates in a project) "Member" (some level of
self-identification) and "Charter Member" (the original voting 45)
were what came out of thrashing over the semantics for half an hour.

One thing a Member should be providing is postal address (implicitly,
location for a member map); we have no way of catching this data on
the current platform; this data can easily live in LDAP.

> Board
>    * Clarify re-elections of directors (2006 or 2007?)

The rough consensus was that turnover as soon as September may be
counterproductive, generating an impression of a lot of elective heat
and not much light, and that the Board should go up for re-election in March,
one year from when the full Board started; this is mentioned in the
notes very briefly, but without timing, I just stuck it onto the agenda.

> VisCom
>    * Decide migration of GRASS Newsletter Vol 4 to OSGeo Newsletter Vol 1

I think that VisCom was hyperfocused on Where2 and related conference
pre-planning, and this didn't get discussed yet.

cheers,

jo