[Web Comm] Web Committee Chair

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Jun 23 04:55:28 PDT 2006

Jason Birch wrote:

[...]
>   - joining VisCom (want a slightly used Web Coordinator?)

Hi Jason,
I like this one best! But Frank is correct in saying that VisCom is
overstuffed with work already (at least they will now get a chair that
deserves this name).
So as an alternative - if you are prepared to chair WebCom - I would
very much like to be part of your team and help doing some of the boring
stuff. It does not matter to me at all whether we revive WebCom or
create a task force within VisCom as long as we get the work done and
organize the web site so that people not living in it as we do can also
find what they need. I still have in mind that addressing what has been
collected here would be the first thing to do:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus

Lets see what the board works out this afternoon. Any way I am prepared
to support you.

>   - limping along with the current infrastructure until something else
> is put in place.

I liked this one too, it fits in nicely with the slightly used Web
Coordinator. :-)

[...]
> In support of this, I would also suggest:
>   - Placing a section in the VisCom todo for webcom tasks (and
> abandoning PT)

Fine by me, seems like I am too deranged to use PT and the Wiki is more
flexible for what we need to do now.

>   - Removing the WebCom project from osgeo.org

If you do not need the relative freedom to decide things within your own
committee we might want to remove it completely. But as already said, it
seems like Frank has some good reasons to keep WebCom in place.

SAC seems to be doing more lower level stuff so that merging WebCom with
SAC probably does not make as much sense as I had hoped.

Best regards,
Arnulf.