This Budget Discussion

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 27 15:05:07 PDT 2006

dear all,

I feel that I lack clue as to the next steps on the Budget discussion.

There is the breakdown produced at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Face_To_Face_Action_Items

There are some reservations among Board members as to whether some areas
of expenditure fit with what we have identified as OSGeo's goals.

There is a lurking discussion below that about "does the Board's
identification of goals map well to the broad membership's goals".

As I understand it the "goal state" in getting a good Budget set is to
be able to bootstrap the activities of FunCom and so actually get in
the position where we can pay for stuff - particularly to have a
viable Plan B for hosting and support next year and to be able to
support a fulltime Executive Director. A Budget may/should also be
able to help existing sponsors see what they are supporting.

Forgive me if this is "stream of obviousness" or if there are
important considerations I've glossed over; I never had a Budget before.

How can we reach consensus about this? What would it help to thrash
out via email vs. in the telecon time?

(Assuming we are due for another Board meeting this Friday, I made a
stub page for it with the agenda items that slipped over from last
week: http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Thirteenth_Board_Meeting

all the best,

jo