[OSGeo-Board] RE: [Web Comm] Site support

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Fri Jun 30 05:13:40 PDT 2006

On Tuesday, June 27, 2006 19:22, Jason Birch wrote:

> I think that it makes sense to have a centralized location for
> CollabNet support, and visibility for the requests that we have
> submitted.  Somebody was maintaining these on the wiki in the
> Collabnet Issues section on this page:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Website_Committee But that's not
> really a good place for it.
>
> Does anyone on the board have any thoughts about how this should be
> implemented?
>
> There's already a "feedback" project, so if the "support" project is
> created then this should be removed.
> <snip>

Jason et al,

I created the support project [1].

It contains a front page that gives a brief introduction what the user
is looking at and then an overview of support resources.  It suggests
people to first browse documentation, then go onto the list, and finally
file a request or report when applicable.  This should keep the approach
scaleable and efficient.

The artifact types for reporting a defect and requesting an enhancement
are under construction.  I have prototypes on the site but am waiting
for a colleague to sanity check them before I'll deploy them.  Should be
later today.  (The trick is that once they're deployed, you can no
longer change them. :-()  When deployed, I'll migrate the open issues
into the artifact trackers.

If you agree, I'd like to create the "Support" tab (next to the "Home"
tab) which will link directly to [2] (rather than [1], to get rid of the
regular project header).  Is that ok with you?

Also, we need to announce the site support some place, preferably on the
front page.  Do you know who is responsible for that?

Auke

 1. https://support.osgeo.org/
 2. https://support.osgeo.org/index.html