[Web Comm] Focus

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Jun 30 20:38:29 PDT 2006

Arnulf, I warned you...   :)

In my best-case scenario, we would have two options:

- delegating the projectname.osgeo.org subdomains to the projects to use on their own servers, with a recommendation for some kind of consistent styling and branding.  So, your current mapbender.org server would be accessible as mapbender.osgeo.org.  I don't really envy you the task of skinning mediawiki though.

- having projects build their entire presense on projectname.osgeo.org, where the main styling is pretty much impossible to escape from

The more I think about this, the less tenable it seems though.  Delegating the subdomain to another server would mean that accessing the osgeo.org resources (svn, mailing lists, etc) would be difficult, and existing projects will likely not want to move to a structure that doesn't supply anything like a CMS or wiki.

As much as the project "splash" pages at projectname.osgeo.org seem a bit kludgy, they may actually be the most flexible approach.  Using these as the info pages might also work, but I would have concerns about enforcing a nonpartisan marketing message across these pages, especially for projects that have their entire presense hosted there, such as MapGuide.

I do see Gary's point about consistent styling across projects.  Even if we can't host them all on the osgeo.org domain (it would actually be pretty easy if we had full control over the infrastructure) some kind of move towards a consistent styling would be a good idea.

I'd like to see a revision of the styling of the main osgeo.org site before that though.  It needs more colour, and tie-in with the compass theme.  I unfortunately have neither the access nor the talent to redesign the site.

Jason