[OSGeo-Board] Board Nomination email (please review)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 6 10:46:54 PST 2006

Gary Lang wrote:
> A meta question:
>
> a) who is keeping track of all of these committees?
> b) who is tracking their progress
> c) do we have a list of these projects that we've agreed to set up and
> pursue?
>
> If board people send me a list of the projects/committees they're
> working on, I'll roll them up and we can start tracking them.

Gary,

Each committee seems to be getting it's own subdomain where it documents
itself.  So for instance, as chair of the Incubation committee I have
written up some brief notes at:
    http://incubator.osgeo.org/

The web committee has stuff at:
    http://webcommittee.osgeo.org/

Hopefully the visibility and promotion committee will also have something
similar soon.  I think it is important for each "official" committee to
have a web page listing their members, mandate and some working details.

I think the committee chairs should be reporting back to the board
periodically, as we had from DanielB re: WebCom last week.  We also have
generally had at least one board member on each subcommittee which helps
ensure important issues can be raised and answered at the board level
when needed.

There are still some unofficial committees like the free data (or public
geodata) group, and the curriculum group.  They are essentially still in
the proto-phase and may or may not even have a mailing list.  What information
is available is normally in the wiki for these.

Hopefully the leftbox on the OSGeo main page will soon have direct or
indirect links to the various active committees, replacing the wiki page at:

   http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/Committees