[OSGeo-Board] opening and organizing

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Tue Mar 7 06:54:52 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From:	Frank Warmerdam on behalf of Frank Warmerdam (External)
Sent:	Mon 3/6/2006 10:37 PM
To:	board at board.osgeo.org
Subject:	Re: [OSGeo-Board] opening and organizing

"I would add that only ADSK has put in money so far because we haven't
asked for sponsorship from anyone else yet."

Well, I spent time with ADSK's "peer companies" and some other people out there to guage their interest and a few others. They said no.

The reason we are willing to do it and these others are not is because we needed a home outside of ADSK for MapGuide and because we felt that as long as we were doing that, we should see if we could be of assistant to the broader FOSS community. I suppose too that we have a higher tolerance for risk. And I would say that we're a good bunch of people well-intentioned, hopeful that the foundation will show appreciation in some way. This is one of the essences of sponsorship motivation.

I also asked EdN if he wanted to join in the proceedings at the first splash and he said he was swamped but could contribute help of various kinds once we were up and running.

Gary