[OSGeo-Board] The stack - what is it?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Tue Mar 14 09:15:08 PST 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Gary,
>
> FOSS4G is the conference merge of GRASS conf and Mapserver conference
> as decided at the Bangkok 2004 GRASS Conf (Dave and Jeff from DM were
> there, also more than 150 GRASS folks). Then also EOGEO joined.
>
> We decided to merge as we wanted to the communities closer.
> Now there is the OSGeo Foundation and the FOSS4G, next step
> will be to get the FOSS4G 2007/2008 into the foundation umbrella.
>
> The OSG'05 conf was basically a Mapserver/EOGEO conf with some
> exposure to GRASS etc., but now, in 2006, there is only FOSS4G
> with GRASS/Mapserver/EOGEO inside. I hope that OSGeo get's
> a representative place there. As Frank said, he and me are in the steering
> committee as well as others, so I don't see a problem with that.
>
> so far some background,
>
> Markus

To add to the confusion we organize the FOSSGIS conference
(http://www.fossgis.de) with Autodesk as prominent sponsor. It is fully
localized, German language only and tries to not stand in the way of the
FOSS4G - therefore we pulled it to the end of March. It seems that it
currently is the most inclusive in that it shows the whole stack
including Java stuff ranging from GeoServer to deegree, MapServer and
GRASS from the C side of things and a variety of client applications in
between. There is no active affiliation with either GRASS, MapServer,
EOGEO or any other community organizing committee, it is low level
funded, fully community driven, free of  cost to attend. We currently
count 170 attendees, still getting more each day.

Arnulf.