[OSGeo-Board] The stack - what is it?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Tue Mar 14 09:39:07 PST 2006

...back to the stack. The list I put together previously is still what I
regard as the sdi-stack. Maybe it should get a prefix "web"-sdi-stack as
it fully focuses on a web based SOA. Which makes a lot of sense if we
want to set it up as a web demo or reference site.

But it does not fit in well with your list which from my point of view
is also somewhat outdated. :-) I will try to squeeze in some of the
above SOA stack anyway.

Geographic Data Management
-> PostGIS and command line SQL

Tabular Attribute Data Management
-> PphPgAdmin, command line SQL, web application implementations

GIS Data Import/ Export Utilities
-> GDAL/OGR and several explicit converters for strange German cadastral
formats (EDBS and the like).

GIS Data Entry and Editing
-> GeoServer WFS-T with MapBuilder and Mapbender digitizing front ends
(fully web based)

Map Design and Composition
-> Still mostly hacking MAP files with notepad or vi :-( Some relief
comes with MapStorer but it is still beta. (WMS) map composition with
Mapbender

Basic Geographic Query and Analysis Functions
-> WFS, SLD and WMS from any client (udig, JUMP, Mapbender, etc.)

Network Analysis
-> none, some pre beta hacks with PostGIS

Terrain and 3-D Data Processing and Analysis
-> very little, some WTS. But! Guys, finally I met them. The gamers are
coming. They do some incredible 3D stuff with Active-X plugins. That is
a no goer but the way they let you egoshoot yourself through real world
GIS data is really very amazing! Give me a few more months and I talk
them into Open Sourcing it... ;-)

Raster Image Processing Capabilities
-> GRASS

Application Development Languages