IRC proxy on [wiki.}osgeo.org?

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:36:54 PST 2006

Dear board,

a couple of people (like me) have the problem that IRC ports are
blocked in their institutes. Eg., Michael Barton from ASU wanted
to attend the recent public geodata committee meeting, but could
not join for this reason.

Can we somehow implement a password protected IRC proxy
for selected people? The wiki.osgeo.org may be a candidate
since it is outside of collabnet. Frank may have suggestions
since he also works via IRC proxy. Putting this proxy onto a
port like 3128 would solve the problem as it passes most firewalls.
In some weeks blabla work I managed to convince our admins to
accept the idea, but it still didn't happen ("yes, of course, tomorrow...").
So I am asking here.

Probably the question goes first to Arnulf if he sees a way to
help out.

Thanks,

 Markus