[OSGeo-Board] Chair nominations etc

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 24 16:55:33 PST 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi board,
>
> driven by Tyler's remarks I have two general question (maybe I
> should know but I don't, at least not at this time of the day).
>
> Question 1:
>  We have defined chairs for the current committees.
>  Are the chair reelected after some time (some months from now or so)?
>  If so, by the committee members?
>  Comment: After some time everybody will have a clear picture what's
>  going on and who is who.

Markus,

We certainly haven't defined any term limits for committee chairs.
My opinion is that they should be left in place until they wish to
retire, their committee wish to replace them or the board wishes to
replace them.  In any event the board would need to confirm a replacement.

> Question 2:
>  How are the current committees populated with members? Is it open
>  forever and people just join as they like (aka enter their name in the
>  Wiki and/or subscribe to the list)?

The initial committee members would need to add new members by a voted on
motion.  If there is only a chair, it would be an easy vote to count. :-)

> The second question is caused by the fact that people still add themselves
> onto the Wiki *project* pages, not the *committee* pages (see geodata and
> education and maybe also others. I assume that the chairs have to follow up
> on this and probably substitute the Wiki section "Individuals" by a phrase
> "please subscribe to ... " or whatever is the answer of question 2.

So, in particular, people can't add themselves to a committee.  They can
volunteer to participate and the committee would add them if it so
wishes.