[OSGeo-Edu] Edu committee calendar

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri May 12 05:28:31 PDT 2006

Hi board,

[discussion where to put iCal based committee calendars and
 how to manage it. Currently "Project Developer" role is needed
 to be able to modify a iCal calendar file in a committee SVN
 repository which adds probably security issues (one click and
 the entire project is away...!)].

Copying here from EduCom-discuss:

On 5/12/06, Daniel Brookshier <turbogeek at cluck.com> wrote:
> Hi Puneet, no need to cc, I read the discuss list.
>
> Actually you can just add a role to a user, not need to remove the
> role. If you want to use ics, it might be better to create a calendar
> project to manage users with write permission a bit better.
>
> Google is probably a good choice too. Who cares if it is the next
> evil empire, it's great now.

Personally I don't quite agree.
We are having an OSGeo infrastructure, we are paying enough money
for its maintenance and so we should also be able to manage a
calendar onsite. To spread pieces here and there, in particular
to other closed source/proprietary companies doesn't make much
sense for me.

I think that the board should come up with a general policy on
how to manage things like that. Not every committee member should
be empowered to do everything in the project infrastructure, but
also we should not move away the ingredients from OSGeo.

In this calendar case, hopefully a single OSGeo calendar based
on the easy-to-use iCal file technology can be created. It could work
like this:
- iCal file (generated easily with Mozilla's calendar software or what
  ever iCal compliant software) put onto OSGeo web site
- all comittee chairs, board members and officers can modify
- that's it.

I don't see a reason why this should be maintained outside of
OSGeo (more or less out of our control). Again, we are talking about
a single file!

Just my 0.02 Cents

 Markus