[VisCom] RE: [OSGeo-Board] Eleventh Board Meeting Agenda

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Sat May 27 08:26:03 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 18:49, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Arnulf's Intergeo situation seems a bit different than most we expect to
> have - where OSGeo can help promote open source by providing an
> opportunity for OS companies to promote specific products/ideas.  Is this
> is a good summary, Arnulf?

It reads like I was doing things on my own which is certainly not what I
want to do... My *idea* was that the OSGeo provides for the common roof of
presenting 'its own' projects (currently 8) + friend projects (GeoServer,
PostGIS, deegree, etc.). As we have no budget to spend and will need some
time to work out how that should work this would have to work with OSGeo
not spending any money but just volunteers (...lets 'spend' some
volunteers :-) This funding of the 'Open Source Park' (not 'OSGeo Park' -
yet?) therefore has to be done by companies. Those companies in one way or
another have to be selected. Jan suggested to have two kinds of
promotional opportunities for companies:
* Info Point (just a table with notebook and some flyers)
* Booth (full fledged with posters, notebooks, taqbles, etc.)

The OSGeo projects (software and others) are presented in the OSGeo
section(?) booth(?) - name it - probably similar to the above mentioned
'Info Points'. They provide for information on how the project is run, how
you can join contributing, developing, how the community works, etc. One
'Info Point' is dedicated to OSGeo in general (or detail).

As all of this is just at an idea stage that Jan an me developed we need
more input. One way will be to set up a mailing list at VisCom in German
lang so that the project members and potential sponsoring companies can
express their ideas. We would then communicate what we have come up with
to VisCom and the board.  Then we need some more dicussions and approval
by the board.

Preceding all this we had to decide whether to do it at all or just appear
as in the last years - meaning that the companies have their separate
booths and the projects do not really appear at all.

> If we have a booth area or opportunities for companies, then we need to
> have clear processes for assessing and choosing who can have access to it.
>  I don't think it needs to be too complex or potentially damaging, just
> has to be clear and open.

We will just continue that discussion in the Wiki.

> The concept I immediately thought of was the typical "Request for
> Expression of Interest" opportunities we get.  We could mimic that by
> letting companies sign up or propose using a booth (much like the Intergeo
> wiki page is doing).  We just have to post a clear explanation of how they
> will be assessed or scored.  They would simply provide a proposal/summary
> of how their company meets certain OSGeo objectives.  Take the first ones
> that qualify first, and tell the others why they don't meet the standard.
> For the most part, our standard is pretty simple.

Fine.

> That is, unless we don't want OSGeo to ever provide opportunities for 3rd
> parties...
>
> Arnulf, is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

Yes, thanks for the summary. Maybe you could explain what you mean with
"...bit different than most we expect to have". Again we will have to
define who is 'we' and what 'our' (again) expectations are. This point of
view is taken from the perspective of the company, exhibitor and OSGeo
VisCom, developed by Jan-Oliver and Arnulf. It is a lot harder to learn
ybout the perspectives of the OSGeo members, project developers and those
who we address. All of these views have to be taken into account somehow.

Arnulf

Arnulf Christl
http://www.ccgis.de