ED Priorities and expenses

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 26 00:07:01 PDT 2006

Hi all,
Time to think through a few points about coordinating with you on
priorities, events and expenses.  Hopefully we can work through this
quickly and then go forward with some clear expectations.  This is
what I hoped to cover on Friday, but I want to get the discussion
going sooner via email.

PRIORITIES AND TASKS
Here are the top priorities for me, as I see them, in order of
importance/urgency:
1) Infrastructure Migration
2) Fundraising initiatives and pursuing 501c3 status
3) Community Communications (web site content, newsletter, personal
communications, blog, summaries of activity, membership package, etc.)
4) Maintain VisCom involvement (conferences, promo writing, etc.)

Anything else that is high on your list of expectations?

TRAVEL / EVENTS
In Lausanne we talked about a budget for travel to events and
meetings. We talked about using for:
1) Meeting with others who are key in fundraising, or for meeting
with potential sponsors or partners
2) Representing OSGeo at conferences and events
3) Meeting with local chapters, regional OSGeo-related groups, other
committee members or staff

Are there other things like this that you expect me to be doing?
To what degree would you like me to pass details by you for approval
vs. self-management of a budget?
Should it be based on a certain spending threshold?  Is there a
budget I should plan against?

The first event I want to bring to your attention is Autodesk
University, a conference held over 4 days at the end of November in
Las Vegas.  We will have a booth there, courtesy of Autodesk, but
only 4-5 people who can attend to it with relatively deep knowledge
of our various projects.  I would like to help us make a solid
presence there by helping manage the booth traffic.  There is also a
MapGuide User Meeting planned at the event, in which there is time
for introducing OSGeo to the group.  I am supposed to help organise
this portion and the event organisers are definitely interested.  The
conference will have about 5-6,000 people - I don't think we should
pass up such a large opportunity to promote all of our projects.

Should I plan to go?  Do you have other events or meeting in mind for
me?

ONGOING OFFICE EXPENSES

Please clarify what office-related expenses I should expect to have
covered by OSGeo.  Then I will do up a monthly estimated expense
summary.

Some basics that I assume to be covered are:  broadband, phone and
cell, postal box, and basic supplies like paper, toner, etc. as needed.

Others I am not sure about:
1) I plan to use my current office computer and printer, they work
fine and I don't mind, but some employers help recover some of the
costs on a monthly basis.
2) I will be using my home office - we don't need to rent office
space, but there are proportional costs for utilities, maintenance
and insurance to consider.

Can you confirm these for me?  What items should I plan for?

That's all for now, thank you.
Tyler