[OSGeo-Board] ED Priorities and expenses

Mark Lucas mlucas at radiantblue.com
Thu Oct 26 06:16:53 PDT 2006

This sounds very reasonable to me.  We need to manage within our
existing resources and kick off efforts to secure additional
fundraising allowing us to expand what we can do.  We need to allow
Tyler to manage his own activities, travel, and priorities within the
top level guidelines and resources that we have.  The board is active
and not shy about questioning all of OSGeo activities so I expect
that any significant course corrections or priority revisions will be
raised appropriately.  The office expenses seem appropriate for where
we are today.  I'm planning on working towards growing our funding to
give us more flexibility on compensation in the future.

I want to be one of the first in line to get Tyler's help in the area
that I can contribute the most - getting us into US government
systems and programs.  To that end Dave McIllhagga and I have been
discussing an OSGeo day/conference in Washington DC after the first
of the year, probably in the February time frame.  I already have a
number of programs, agencies, and decision makers that have verbally
agreed to take part in such an event.  I'll summarize some of the
parameters for that in a separate email and discussion.

Finally, I think that supporting the Autodesk conference would be a
top priority.  Autodesk has been our benefactor and they have gone
out of their way to support us in a truly open source fashion.
Whatever we can do to communicate the benefits  and our projects to
Auto and their users should be a fairly high priority for us.  We
want the Autodesk management, employees, and users to think that
support for OSGeo was one of the best decisions they ever made.

Finally, I'm in Colorado Springs Co right now and a blizzard is
coming in.  I'm supposed to be flying back tomorrow morning if they
can dig us out of here so I will probably miss the board meeting.

Mark