[OSGeo-Board] Re: [Web Comm] RE: [OSGeo-Board] Service Provider Directory

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 10:58:20 PDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at lizardtech.com> wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
> > In my not-so-humble opinion, we should not be applying a
> > "open source enough"
> > test to entries.  We will presumably only list technologies
> > for them to
> > select from that have at least some tangential applicability
> > to our space.
> > If any organizations wants to identify as having expertise
> > then they can be
> > listed.  This is why I'm not keen on a "supports osgeo's
> > mission and goals"
> > proviso.
>
> I'll reiterate (and then shut up about) the idea of making entry on the
> Service Provider Directory be contigent on the organization ack'ing that
> they "support OSGeo's goals".  If someone can't even tacitly agree with
> OSGeo's mission statement, why would we give them any pixels on our
> domain at all?

I tend to agree. I also think that we want to avoid the "sourceforge
approach" to list whatever can be listed. A too long list doesn't help anybody
since it is as useful as not having a list at all (because then people go
back and simply use search engines). Maybe we need a FOSS company
harvester bot? :-)

Markus