[Board] Sponsorship funding and value for money

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Dec 17 10:55:42 PST 2007

Excuse snipping, please read parent for full details!

On 16-Dec-07, at 10:13 AM, Jo Walsh wrote:

>  Are we investing our money well now?

Possibly not. Given our current sponsorship model ("benign halo") the
best place to invest our money (which is to say, our ED's time, given
the general shape of our expenditures) would be in increasing the
profile of OSGeo in places that might not know anything about geo at
all, so that the "halo" is larger.  Again, following the example of
the OGC makes sense... they are very good at placing articles in all
kinds of places, pushing their brand out into as many media
opportunities as they can.  A lot can be done by writing interesting
articles and getting them into media -- media like free content, and
we like to get our content published, so it's a match made in heaven.

> Well, I know that the expand-or-contract debate has been a constant
> thread through OSGeo's history, and I don't want to see simply yet
> another iteration of it now. But i see the sponsor-security conundrum
> above as likely to limit options and force decisions in a year. I want
> us to work with Tyler to find ways in which his ED work can show more
> measurable public impact and return on investment.

Here's some interesting info:

http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/press/releasedetail.cfm?
ReleaseID=281676

And some depressing info:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

Even the best possible realization of the minimalist vision, by the
largest minimalist practitioner, is pretty small, and tightly tied to
companies "doing the right thing" for very abstract, non-measurable
reasons.

By contrast, here's a serious pay-to-play foundation:

http://www.eclipse.org/membership/showMembersWithTag.php?TagID=strategic

Raison d'etre, raison d'etre... only the answer to that question will
provide our direction.

P.

> This has been an awkward email to write, but I hope you will
> understand.

Thanks Jo.