[Board] Sponsorship funding and value for money

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 17 11:34:56 PST 2007

As Paul points out, it boils down to what we want to be when we grow
up. :)

Personally, I think a good starting point though is both a home for
open source geospatial technologies, and fostering adoption of these
technologies through some mix of community building and promotional
activities. I do think having Tyler has made a huge impact in simply
coordinating the many many activities that are ongoing in this space.
This was draining our precious volunteer efforts (especially from the
Board) and has made for what I think has been a much smoother 2007
then we had in 2006.

One thing is clear, if we want a Foundation that will continue to
have an ED to run it's day to day affairs -- we need to get "Beyond
Autodesk" as a majority source of operational funding for the
organization. That will mean as Jo pointed out, a concerted effort -
led by Tyler (probably in the range of about 20% of this time)
dedicated to fundraising. We at the board have to support this effort
-- but none of us can put in the dedicated time that is necessary to
make this effort successful.

Thoughts? Tyler - do you have any thoughts on this?

Dave