[Board] conference naming?

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Mon Feb 5 08:45:16 PST 2007

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Gary Lang wrote:
>> I missed that. Where is the minutes of that meeting?
>>
>> Thx
>
> Start here to get the full story:
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-November/thread.html
>
> Guess what, I was part of the subversive group that tries to dilute the
> OSGeo brand name and I could not refrain from having a strong position
> in favor of having the term Free in the title. So if you need to blame
> somebody for supporting such a stupid idea blame me. And next time join
> the discussion in time... ;-)

I wasn't even aware the discussion was happening.  Looking at those
archives I see Allan recommended to send ConfCom's decision to the full
membership, but I don't think that ever happened?  I personally don't
have a strong stake in it, I just thought OSGeo was the sensible name
and was curious why it was being called FOSS4G.  But as long as the
ConfCom did think about it and decide that's what it should be I'm fine
with it.  But would recommend maybe getting a slightly wider group for
something as major as the name of our most public event.  I will note
that the ConfCom seems to have a lot of people involved in the last
conference, who obviously like the FOSS4G name as they chose it to be
the name of their conference.

Chris