[Board] conference naming?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Feb 5 09:58:51 PST 2007

Chris Holmes wrote:

> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> Gary Lang wrote:
>>> I missed that. Where is the minutes of that meeting?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>
>> Start here to get the full story:
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2006-November/thread.html
>>
>> Guess what, I was part of the subversive group that tries to dilute
>> the OSGeo brand name and I could not refrain from having a strong
>> position in favor of having the term Free in the title. So if you need
>> to blame somebody for supporting such a stupid idea blame me. And next
>> time join the discussion in time... ;-)
>
> I wasn't even aware the discussion was happening.  Looking at those
> archives I see Allan recommended to send ConfCom's decision to the full
> membership, but I don't think that ever happened?  I personally don't
> have a strong stake in it, I just thought OSGeo was the sensible name
> and was curious why it was being called FOSS4G.  But as long as the
> ConfCom did think about it and decide that's what it should be I'm fine
> with it.  But would recommend maybe getting a slightly wider group for
> something as major as the name of our most public event.  I will note
> that the ConfCom seems to have a lot of people involved in the last
> conference, who obviously like the FOSS4G name as they chose it to be
> the name of their conference.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,
you are completely right in all that you say. There will be other possibilities where we can practice a more public discussion and will hopefully do so. I remember that we were in hurry because we did not get going at all and I remember that I felt that every angle to the problem was well represented.

My personal itch was that the term Free Software appear again and again so that people *have* to think about it for a while. I feel this is important because I know so very many who practice Open Source in every day life but never really understood it. So this is all about educating people and I know that many will simply not care or fear that it could be anti business and so on. Additionally it bothers me that I must sound like a cracked record because you know all of this and it is day to day business to you. :-) To many it is not and we need to tell them.