[Board] FOSSGIS?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 7 12:22:57 PST 2007

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> So, no, the several year wait for the conference to come back to North
> America is not a problem for many of us since there are other
> opportunities to engage.  If really desperate we want to pursue some
> management events for more regional groups to get together, but not with
> similar scale as FOSS4G.  Of course others may disagree, but I don't
> help with FOSS4G only when it is on our turf.

Folks,

For what it's worth, I think having annual regional events such as FOSSGIS
is great and valuable.  As Tyler suggests they might sometimes be tied in
to other industry conferences or handled as standalones.

But I do think that for now the foundation is stretched pretty thin handling
the main international conference.  So more local or regional efforts will
essentially have to be led by interested local groups, as is the case for
FOSSGIS.  But I do think that the foundation should do what it can to
support and promote them.

PS. I'm really bummed about Intergeo and FOSS4G having collided this year.