[Board] FOSSGIS?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Feb 7 09:40:01 PST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I trust Arnulf has adequately answered that FOSSGIS is the local
> German show for our sphere, right?

He has, though I am a little annoyed that it has practically the same
name as the international conference (which would have been nice to know
during the naming discussion). And the reason I noted it at all as an
issue is because there are folks promoting it on English language
mailing lists.

(Even better, as *replies* to the FOSS4G call for workshops... "Re:
FOSS4G workshops, check out FOSSGIS!"  At that point you really need a
scorecard to keep track -- it ain't a pretty sight.)

> PS. I'm really bummed about Intergeo and FOSS4G having collided this
> year.

Ditto.

When the 2008 RFP goes out (soon? soon?) an inventory of other
geospatial conferences we don't want to collide with should go out with
it, with an indication that collisions are not desirable.  2007 was
being planned too close to the event date to have any flexibility at all
in terms of venue availability -- we got the one week in the fall that
was open.

If the 2008 request goes out *soon* it will not have quite the same
problem (though 18 months is *still* relatively short, as the conference
center people have shown me (most recurring events are planned at least
3 events out, so they already know the 2009 venue in 2007)).

Paul

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research