[Board] Funding for booth at Location Intelligence

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 28 13:58:35 PST 2007

Dave McIlhagga wrote:
> I think it would be irresponsible to approve the location intelligence
> funding, or the vis com budget without the comfort that we have
> reasonable certainty of sufficient cash-flow to meet our minimal
> commitments over the course of the year.

Dave,

I have to admit I too am concerned about our financial status.  I feel like
we need to provide some resources for VisCom to get their work done, and
some degree of predictability, but that for now we would be prudent to err
on the side of frugality.  Perhaps an annual budget of $40000 ($10K/quarter)
with a quarterly review to see if we can up it.  This would give VisCom at
least a moderate amount of money to work with, but be less likely to cut into
our ability to cover our fixed commitments.

I also absolutely agree with the concerns that FunCom is inadequately active.
As I have noted in the past to FunCom, I think a new chair with more time
and vigor than I have is called for.  In the meantime this thread has motivated
me to establish a FunCom "sponsor spreadsheet" for tracking approaches, and
I'm going to see what else I can do to gain interest in participation in the
committee.