[Board] Questions about "Local Chapter Sponsor"

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Thu Jan 18 05:18:55 PST 2007

Dear all

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Question1: What is "Sponsorship Selection" ? Could you tell me?
>>
>> My Answer: "Sponsorship Selection" refers to OSGeo choosing
>> who will be offcial sponsors for OSGeo's FOSS4G International
>> Conferences (hope i have got that answer right)
> This is correct.  It might be worth pointing these folks at the following
> page about how to be a sponsor of the conference.
>
>   http://www.seatoskymeetings.com/site_foss4g07/sponsorship_exhibition.html
>
> Preferential treatment for OSGeo sponsors in the process of sponsor
> selection for the conference would only come into play if there were
> more sponsors than sponsor slots.

Why do we have to restrict sponsor slots. According to me, the more the
merrier.

>> Other questions
>>
>> Question2: "Local Chapter Sponsor" desires be invited all event of
>> OSGeo both International and Local. What level of sponsorship
>> will ensure that "Local Chapter Sponsor" will be invited as
>> per their desire.
>> My Answer: I am awaiting feed back from the board and Tyler.
>
> We don't really have many events that we would invite sponsors to.

So let us say that we atleast invite the local sponsor for the
annual FOSS4G conferences.

Many international meetings have a meeting for exhibitors and
with important members in the Organizing committee. This is
usally a beer (or whatever) drinking meeting to exchange views
between people who have paid money to display their wares and
services (exhibitors) and people who have organized the conference
(OSGeo board offficers, Local Organizers). Why can't we think of some
such arrangement.

I think exhibitors ponsors form distant countries which speak different
language and have different culture need to know that they will have a
chance to mingle and not feel left alone.

Hence invitation to FOSS4G and if possible to "exhibitors get-together"
at FOSS4G.

>> Question 3: Can "Local Chapter Sponsor" be listed as "Official Local
>> Chapter Sponsor" (with logo) on the OSGeo website.
>> My Answer: I am awaiting feed back from the board and Tyler.

I will comment on this later.

Look for your feedback.

Regards

Venka