[Board] Questions about "Local Chapter Sponsor"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 18 05:43:11 PST 2007

Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>> This is correct.  It might be worth pointing these folks at the following
>> page about how to be a sponsor of the conference.
>>

>> http://www.seatoskymeetings.com/site_foss4g07/sponsorship_exhibition.html
>>
>> Preferential treatment for OSGeo sponsors in the process of sponsor
>> selection for the conference would only come into play if there were
>> more sponsors than sponsor slots.
>
> Why do we have to restrict sponsor slots. According to me, the more the
> merrier.

Venka,

I'm not sure.  I suspect it is a mixture of limited room for sponsor
logos in prominant places, and a desire to encourage fast sponsor sign
up by making the sponsor slots appear somewhat exclusive.

> So let us say that we atleast invite the local sponsor for the
> annual FOSS4G conferences.
>
> Many international meetings have a meeting for exhibitors and
> with important members in the Organizing committee. This is
> usally a beer (or whatever) drinking meeting to exchange views
> between people who have paid money to display their wares and
> services (exhibitors) and people who have organized the conference
> (OSGeo board offficers, Local Organizers). Why can't we think of some
> such arrangement.
>
> I think exhibitors ponsors form distant countries which speak different
> language and have different culture need to know that they will have a
> chance to mingle and not feel left alone.
>
> Hence invitation to FOSS4G and if possible to "exhibitors get-together"
> at FOSS4G.

The foundation sponsorship program talks about a "Sponsor Information
Exchange Event", and a "Sponsor Networking Event" both following the
annual conference.  But for these even Associate foundation sponsors
are not invited.  Only Supporting, Principal and Sustaining sponsors.
So if we won't invite associate foundation sponsors, I'm not sure how
we could be inviting local chapter sponsors, or exhibitors.

In fact, I wonder if we should be revisiting this policy.  I wonder
if some of our efforts to offer some degree of exclusivity to some
kinds of sponsors aren't just going to leave other sponsors feeling
left out.

There is a general mixer event the night after the workshops and it
will be open to everyone.  We can certainly welcome sponsors to this
if they are attending the conference.