[Board] New Board Nominees

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Jul 9 08:29:44 PDT 2007

One quick question...

Our bylaws are not clear on who can nominate new board members.  It
is clear that only charter members can vote on them and that nominees
must come from the current charter membership.

It seems to be clear for nominating charter members, but nothing is
discussed regarding the board, according to the bylaws:

"...to be eligible for membership, a person must be nominated by an
existing member of the corporation..."

This was an oversight of mine during the last round of nominations
(though I'm not sure we really wanted that anyway).

Is it your understanding that we should allow only charter members to
submit nominations or would you like to see it opened to the general
public?

 From my reading of the bylaws and my personal opinion, I think it is
reasonable to keep it closed to the charter membership to submit
nominations  - since board nominees can be seen as a step of
recognition by their charter member peers.

Please give me your input,
Tyler