[Board] a long story starting with SOAP and ending in Switzerland

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Jul 10 15:17:07 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 03:24:56PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> In the context of GeoTools it is proposed that the contributors
> assign their copyright to the foundation.  I'm suggesting that the
> GeoTools project allow some contributors to not do so where it would
> be a barrier to their participation.  So some contributors would license
> their contributions under the LGPL but would retain the copyright.

Ugh! Okay, but won't that make attribution a pain to manage? Introduce
an artifical kind of precendence? * Why* is it that some contributors
are reluctant to assign their copyright to the Foundation, can this be
found and fixed? It is all open source there shouldnt be a real reason why.
> Merging two emails:

Aw i was really trying to figure out how to separate concerns ;)

> >> SOAP support in WCS 1.2.  I'd love to see SOAP support implemented for
> >> MapServer by some European individual/group with JRC funding.

> I'm not suggesting the funding would be handled by OSGeo at all.  Instead
> I'm assuming JRC would contract some organization (like CampToCamp,
> the Where Group or any number of other european companies) to do the
> development.  It might even be a consortium of such organizations if
> appropriate, to cover several projects (ie. GeoServer, MapServer,
> MapGuide, ...)

Okay, so that could be an inteersting prospect, like a consortium of
local consultancies and user groups across Europe, that OSGeo could
help facilitate... but this needs to have a "front door". And this is
a context where the CFP pay not be open in a way which offers what, in
the abstract, looks like a level playing field; track record is needed.

love,

jo