incubation checkup was Re: [Board] Meeting Reminder - this Friday

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Mar 6 05:11:32 PST 2007

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 11:49:03AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >Perhaps the incubation process in general could do with a 1 year review.
>
> What did you have in mind with regard to a 1 year incubation review.  Did
> you want a report to the board from the incubator on where it stands?
> Or are you suggesting that the incubator should sit down and review it's
> process with an eye towards re-engineering where appropriate?   I'd be happy
> to produce a report to the board and membership.

Right, I am thinking about 2 sets of things here:
- a kind of survey of all the projects of their experience of
  incubation
- a re-examination of what is going on in the process in the light of
  concerns that emerge from this

I am concerned that incubation can be seen as too much of a chore.
Especially the Java people seem to be having issues with code audit
perhaps because they have so much code to audit ;) I wonder how
incubator can be made more actively helpful in this regard.
I wonder about the mentorship process and how it would be nice to have
several people 'mentoring' and be able to encourage support for
shortfalls amongst the broader membership.

GeoNetwork is looking for some help with bug tracking and release
management, i think. There´s a short stack of features missed by their
user community that it would be lovely to have in the next release
cycle but scarce developer time is being allocated to code audit, how
much sense does that make?

jo