[Board] Project Donations

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 22 10:36:13 PST 2007

This month I have heard several people talk about the idea of
receiving donations on behalf of OSGeo projects.  The only mechanism
(correct me if I'm wrong) that we have identified is to receive
project-specific donations through the Project Sponsorship Program:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Sponsorship

This is focused on recurring, annual, and fairly large ($500+) levels
of donation from companies.  So far, GDAL/OGR project has been the
only one using this.  25% of the funds remains for general OSGeo
expenses such as marketing, infrastructure, etc. while the remaining
75% is allocated for the Project Steering Committee to spend.  All
the funding is managed inside OSGeo bank accounts and financial
processes.

This program is not designed to handle smaller personal donations
that users may be interested in providing.  In these cases, I do not
think it makes as much sense to take the 25% overhead as the
potential donations are likely going to be very small.  Also, the
donors are not looking for any sort of promotional status, such as
being called a Sponsor.

I would like other opinions on how to best handle this.  Perhaps we
can set a maximum limit for these donations - i.e. single (personal
or corporate) donations of less than $500.  For anything more than
that, then the project would be obligated to handle it through the
Project Sponsorship methods - including recognising the donor as a
Sponsor for the project.  The PSC would still have to choose this
option and would be responsible for deciding how the funding would be
used, so it doesn't end up being a fee-for-service kind of arrangement.

I can write up a wiki page to describe it in more detail, but it is
meant to be a fairly simple idea.
What do you think?

Tyler