[Board] Project Donations

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 22 16:23:28 PST 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> These are all fine arguments, perhaps I'm just not as good at explaining
> the value to others so clearly. It does all seem reasonable to me, but
> it's the outward perception to members, projects, users and public that
> can be a challenge.
>
> Let me back up - one discussion I had with Markus pushed me to consider
> how we could better help the projects on this front.  The one example
> I'm thinking of is related to QGIS.  Apparently there is an effort
> somehow related to the Italian Chapter to collect funding for squashing
> QGIS bugs.  (Markus can correct my mistakes in this statement)  It seems
> that some donors want 100% of their donation going toward particular
> project goals, so the Project Sponsorship angle isn't palatable.

Tyler,

I can understand folks wanting all their money going to the specific
effort they want to fund.  But I'm very nervous about the precident.

I don't think the sponsorship aspect is important one way or the other.
Lots of GDAL sponsors would prefer to see all their money going specifically
to GDAL too.  And they aren't generally sponsors because of the promotional
benefit.  They are sponsors because they want to see GDAL remain healthy
or because I guilt them into it.

Frankly, I'd rather just let folks handle it another way (outside OSGeo)
if they feel they don't want part of the money kept for general OSGeo use.

And if we start giving a free pass to QGIS, I may rethink my willingness
to have GDAL project funds skimmed (putting it rather crassly).