[Board] Project Donations

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 22 13:28:44 PST 2007

On 22-Nov-07, at 4:23 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I can understand folks wanting all their money going to the specific
> effort they want to fund.  But I'm very nervous about the precident.

I'm not so worried about directing the funds more appropriately, but
more interested in finding a way to bring in some of the small
potential donors out there for whom the 25% contribution may be an
impediment.

> I don't think the sponsorship aspect is important one way or the
> other.

If we can make the project sponsorship program apply to all project-
related donations, that I am fine with that.  It's not clearly
defined enough to handle these at present.  Your earlier suggestions
would help make it clearer though.

> Frankly, I'd rather just let folks handle it another way (outside
> OSGeo)
> if they feel they don't want part of the money kept for general
> OSGeo use.

I can live with that if others agree, but I just wanted to make sure
the discussion happened, so I know the official direction on it. :)

> And if we start giving a free pass to QGIS, I may rethink my
> willingness
> to have GDAL project funds skimmed (putting it rather crassly).

You obviously see the benefit to OSGeo and to the GDAL project to
support this approach.  Clearly articulating the benefits would
really help so others don't see it merely as skimming.

Tyler