[Board] FOSS4G Pricing / Location

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Tue Oct 16 16:11:42 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I agree, I had the feeling at the AGM that this discussion did not
bring us where we had to be unfortunately. But than time was short
and there was some confusion, at least for me. This because we were
discussing making a profit without clearly stating why such profit
was required. Namely "to lay a sustainable financial basis under
OSGeo that is less dependent on sponsors". Correct me if I'm wrong?

We could start such a discussion again on Discuss, but it probably
creates a big discussion that's hard to moderate. Maybe better to do
that after conference and board consensus.

Higher profit through cost savings and sponsorships is my preferred way.

A discussed increase in fees for the workshops is another interesting
one that should be considered. It was not during the board meeting
that workshops should not compete with existing business. This is
true, it will depend on the location and on the number of workshops
held. At the same time, they are held anyway, so why not use that
aspect of the conference to increase revenue while other parts can be
more budget neutral.

25 workshops (we had 12 + 16 labs if I remember well!?) of 30 to 40
people each (I think most had more attendants!?) with a fee of about
50$ per workshop generates some 40-50k revenue. I'm not sure on the
cost aspect, but it could be tried to get that part sponsored and
thus reduce costs to a minimum.

My 2cts, Ciao,
Jeroen